Wednesday, November 25, 2015

It's Thanksgiving, RELAX

We are officially on the eve of the big day! It's truly a moment for us all to reminisce and be thankful. It's a time for us to enjoy the good company of family and friends. It's also a time for us all to enjoy eating good food!

I can't emphasize the enjoy good food part enough. I have stated in a previous post about healthy living that it's important to have a healthy diet. When I say healthy diet, I'm not talking about binge diets many of us roller coast on. I'm talking about an overall lifestyle of eating healthy. It's important to eat a good balanced diet consisting of protein, fats, and carbohydrates. We need to eat good meat, assortments of vegetables, and fruits. We also need to relax and enjoy the holiday food.

Nothing is worse than being "that guy" or "that girl" who during holidays sticks with water only and snoodily looks at everyone else eating turkey and dressing while rummaging through a salad. Here's some advice from someone who by grace has survived congestive heart failure. Enjoy the holiday food! Eat the turkey, ham, dressing, green bean casserole, sweet potato pies, deviled eggs, etc. Live a little!

When I was initially recovering from heart failure in 2003, I was placed on a strict low sodium diet. I went hardcore and monitored every single milligram of sodium in my diet. When I would report back to my heart doctor every few weeks, I didn't hesitate to let them know how I was following "the plan". Well, after about two months of visiting my doctor, he frustratedly told me to "chill out!", in his Indian accent. He said I needed to not be afraid to live a little and enjoy a snickers or slice of pizza every now and then. He wasn't telling me to just drop my diet, however he was telling me to relax.

During this holiday season, RELAX. Enjoy the company of family, friends, and food.

No comments:

Post a Comment